Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It Never Fails To Surprise Me

Samantha woke up last night, barking like a seal. Actually, she coughing really hard that she was almost puking. Actually, she did puke. And, she wet her bed. And, she had an 102 degree fever. And, I was surprised.

I don't know why. All the warning signs that she was getting sick were there. She had been coughing a little yesterday. She had an accident at school. The last time she did that, she got sick later that day. She took a nap yesterday, something she sadly gave up completely six months ago. And, then she didn't fight bedtime. A two hour nap and easy down for bed? I should have known. I should have remembered.

I think it's a mommy trait to forget all the bad stuff and all the warning signs of bad stuff that involves our kids. Labor would be the best example. People always say they don't remember the pain. I don't remember the pain. In fact, all I really remember was the excitement of realizing I was about to have a baby, then holding a little, squirmy, squish-faced baby. There were hours of laboring, pushing, a broken tailbone

It apparently doesn't stop with childbirth. It extends to every bad thing associated with our children. I've forgotten all the times I've had to yell at them because they weren't listening, or about to hurt themselves, or were screaming for no good reason. And I forget all their illnesses. It's like it's the first time every time. I do remember, however, that it's no fun having a sick little girl curled up in front of the television all day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness the poor baby! I hope she gets better fast! I agree we totally forget the bad stuff. I has to be a defensive mechanism because I think we would take our children and hide in a closet forever if we remember what causes them pain! I am glad someone else had a broken tailbone from childbirth...well not "glad" but people always think I am crazy when I tell them it happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a broken tail bone too! She seems to be getting better already. Darn preschool viruses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog