Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cool Stuff: Mind Blowing Science

I like to show cool things I find for my kids to do, because, if you're like me, you're always trying to find something for the kids to do that doesn't involve television. Nap time for the my two youngest is my biggest problem. Samantha doesn't nap anymore, so I need to find something to keep her occupied quietly for a couple hours in the afternoon.

We finally got this kit I've been wanting. It's called Mind Blowing Science and it's essentially a basic chemistry set for kids four and up.




The Kit

We opened it today and it was so much fun. There is an instruction book with twenty or so experiments to do along with explanations. Today, Samantha and I worked with acids and bases (i.e. citric acid and baking soda).


We watched them fizz like sodapop when mixed together and cause color changes using an indicator (red cabbage powder). And we tested the pH of various household items, like vinegar, my Diet Coke, and soap.



Samantha performing an experiment. She pipettes like a pro.


The explanations were a little over Samantha's head, but she was able to guess correctly (hypothesize since we were being scientists), that soap is a base. She was able to perform the experiments herself after I read her the instructions.




Pondering her results.

She really enjoyed it and is already bugging me to do more.

One happy, almost 4 year old.



**Disclaimer: I did not receive any compensation for this post. I bought the kit with my own money, and no one paid me to review it. (I'd review stuff though, if anyone asked, but they haven't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog