Monday, February 1, 2010

Orthodontia

Samantha and Ella went to the dentist today. It went much better than I had expected. Samantha opened her mouth wide and let them clean her teeth and brush on the fluoride wonderfully. I expected this since she had done so well at the last visit.

Ella, again, was a potential problem. When we brush her teeth at home I literally have to hold her in a head lock and cram the brush into her alternating clenched and screaming mouth. I never do what I would consider a good job, and frequently I only brush lips. She's also teething right now, so I was really just hoping they would be able to look at her chipped tooth (from face planting out of the crib onto the hardwood floor) and that she wouldn't bite anyone. To my surprise, she held still and let them clean every tooth and apply the fluoride. The televisions hanging over the chairs playing cartoons probably had something to do with it.

Unfortunately, it was confirmed that Samantha will be seeing the orthodontist when her adult teeth start to come in. At the last visit the dentist noted some of her lower incisors were behind her upper incisors when she closed her mouth and some were in front. At that time we were told orthodontia was probably in her future, but as she grew they might correct themselves, so nothing until the adult teeth started to come in.

Today, all the lower incisors are in front of the upper ones (bulldog like). Definite orthodontia in the not too distant future. She will likely get a device that will spread her upper jaw so the upper teeth go in front, like they should. It's too early to tell with Ella, she doesn't have all her baby teeth yet, but I'm guessing we'll have three in braces. Time to start saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog