Friday, January 22, 2010

Meet Tut




We have a new cat. Yes, we chose to add another pet to our household now, with 3 small children, a dog, 2 cats, and a really gross sixty gallon fish tank. My husband thought he was being sneaky. Someone at work knew someone looking for a home for three Sphinx cats. Knowing I wanted one, since I am obsessed with hairless animals, he asked me at 11 o'clock at night, right after I had gone to bed after a long day, thinking I would say no because it wasn't a good time. I considered saying no, but in my almost nine years as a veterinarian, I have never come across a Sphinx up for adoption, so I couldn't pass. I chose a nude male (versus a gray one)and Sean surprised me by bringing him home the next night.

One of our other cats is relatively easy going, while the other is not. She is mean and does not like new cats being introduced into the house. It has not stopped us from bringing home cats in the past, but she really hates it. We also have a crazy Boxer mix that does try to chase cats that are not ours. It was going to be interesting to see how this new addition fit in (and if he got eaten or attacked).

Well, I am happy to report, he has taken over the house. He is in charge. He gets on all the furniture (including the tables and kitchen counters that none of the other cats get on). He eats like its going out of style. He has taken over our bed, burrowing under the covers at night to keep warm. Apparently evicting the other two cats that used to share the bed with us every night and now are nowhere to be found. He has even dominated the dog, using her as his preferred heating device (my husband is a close second). The dog is confused by this and not sure what to make this bold cat with no apparent fear of her.

His original name was Tangent. Not well liked. We pondered names and King Tut won, mainly because I chose it, it starts and ends with a T like his original name so maybe he'll respond to it, and the kids can say it easily (including our budding linguist, Ella). Sean is holding onto Mr. Nudey Booty, but I predict that name will go the way of the ancient Egyptians eventually. Tut, however, is here to stay.

I mostly wrote this post to try adding pictures to my blog and you have to admit, he is photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog